Vacancy Announcement – Internship/Traineeship – Design & Communication
Organizational Unit: Multilateral Diplomacy Programme (MDP)
Duration of contract: 4 to 6 months
Indicative starting date: February/March 2018
Duty Station: Geneva, Switzerland
Deadline for Application: 18 February 2018
The Multilateral Diplomacy Programme (MDP) of the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) maintains an internship/traineeship programme for students/recent graduates interested in gaining professional experience in a multicultural environment and enhancing their understanding of the United Nations system.
MDP designs and delivers the Institute’s core diplomacy training (CDT), consisting primarily of orientation briefings and short, intensive skills development workshops which benefit cumulatively some 2,500 diplomats yearly at the United Nations Headquarters and other venues where the Organization maintains a significant presence.
Parallel to CDT, MDP develops and delivers training activities at country and regional levels in close partnership with national training institutes, universities and selected international organizations. MDP activities also including e-Learning; special projects, including advisory services related to the curriculum development of diplomatic academies; and the development of other training tools, including the Glossary for UN Delegates and a Manual on United Nations Conference Processes, Procedures and Negotiations.
MDP welcomes qualified candidates interested to work for a period of four to six months at UNITAR headquarters in Geneva. This will be on an unpaid basis, but with a monthly lump-sum equivalent to 700 USD to cover transportation.
In line with the Institute’s efforts to improve its training activities and special events, the Multilateral Diplomacy Programme is developing a strategic growth plan to enhance the external products and the advertisement of their projects, as well its online training courses.
Under the supervision of the Training Associate of UNITAR’s Multilateral Diplomacy Programme, the intern/trainee will assist in the development and design of UNITAR’s external products (brochures, advertisements, online advertisements, web products and outgoing documents) as well as e-courses on diplomacy and skills development. The intern/trainee would assist with designing products, showing originality, professionalism and creativity, whilst adhering to UNITAR’s guidelines. The intern/trainee would also be responsible for assisting in communications and outreach activities. Typical tasks assigned to the intern/trainee may include the following:
- To support colleagues in the development of external communication products, such as brochures, advertisements and web design, as well as online courses;
- To adapt training materials and learning packages to quality and professional standards and UNITAR guidelines;
- To liaise directly with partner organizations and beneficiaries in preparation for the delivery of these products (printing and web designing);
- To undertake research that may provide necessary input into such training and outreach materials;
- To assist the Programme in its outreach and communication strategy (including social media);
- To maintain and develop UNITAR’s communication database to ensure the efficient and effective dissemination of information and coordination amongst the global diplomatic community.
The tasks assigned may be reviewed during contract period to reflect changes in programme needs and priorities.
After the assignment the intern/trainee should be able to:
- Translate strategic vision into actionable objectives;
- Work independently and take initiative;
- Develop a professional rapport with UNITAR staff;
- Be familiar with UNITAR’s branding guidelines;
- Ameliorate, adapt and design UNITAR’s external products in a professional way;
- Be creative and innovative;
- Propose ways to further UNITAR’s mission in terms of designing;
- Work in a multicultural environment.
Candidates should, as a minimum, either be enrolled in or hold a university-level qualification (Bachelor’s degree, licence or other) either in graphic or instructional design, digital media, journalism, international relations, history, political science, languages or a related subject.
Please note that the status of intern is granted to candidates still enrolled in a graduate or undergraduate programme, while candidates having completed their education are considered as trainees.
Candidates should also have: demonstrated interest in instructional and graphic design; distance learning methodologies; creative and professional approach; administrative and organizational skills to assist in the designing of external products; computer skills (to deal with InDesign, Photoshop, internet search, etc.); and a high level of individual responsibility, commitment and initiative.
Dates and Duration
Start date: February/March 2018
Duration: Four to six months. The internship/traineeship programme is normally on a full-time basis, but part-time arrangements are possible, and should be agreed before the start of the internship/traineeship.
Excellent knowledge in both oral and written English is required. Knowledge of French or another official UN language is an advantage.
How to Apply
Please send your CV and motivation letter to email@example.com with the following subject line: “MDP: Internship/Traineeship (Design and Communication)”. Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview.